Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I have determined to make this my shortest blog yet!

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern start out Act 3 contemplating the meaning of life, neither being able to see, yet they still live (reminiscent of the dead man in a box. Rosencrantz brings up the theory "I think, therefore I am." They also play a lot with day and night and they deconstruct the meaning out of the words until night represents the traditional day and day represents the traditional night. (word-killing). I find it interesting that there are even uncertainties in the stage directions. Guildenstern contemplates the conflict between determinism and fate on page 101, and Rosencrantz tries to "make Guil happy" by humoring him with a game he couldn't lose, kind of like thendywamps. Lastly, Guildenstern makes a comment that they "must not lose control" but I wonder if they ever had any control to begin with. They are just characters in Hamlet who have been brought to life in literature. (It is also quite humorous that Alfred emerges from the Player's barrel.)

No comments: