Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead - day 1

This is one of the funniest plays I have ever read!

I flipped a penny today to see how many times it would come up heads or tails. I don't know why I did because I should have known it would come up as either heads or tails every time. My results: Heads heads tails heads heads tails tails heads heads tails. My conclusions: My results are inconclusive.

Stoppard plays around a lot with wordplay and ambiguity in Rosy and Guildy's comic banter.
[ex. "afraid" (p.15), "What's the first thing you remember?" (p.16), toenails and beard growth (p.18)] I think it's funny that two people who have never been born are contemplating birth. It is reflecting the postmodern characteristic: "Why?"

I am definately excited to keep reading this play!